The physical education department of Nirmala Arts and Science College is very keen on developing an ambience of sports and games for its students. Participation in sports and other physical activities can have many benefits for students. Participation in organized sports offers the chance for youth to enhance their physical and social skills. A balance should be maintained that matches the student’s maturity, skills, and their interests with their sports participation. Sports offer students a change from the monotony of their daily life. It is also a useful means of entertainment and physical activity for them.
The importance of sports in the life of a young student is invaluable and it instills lessons that are essential in the life of a student athlete. Sports play a pivotal role in the makeup of a young athlete, especially in college years where student athletes are mentally developed. Through sports students learn values like discipline, responsibility, self-confidence, sacrifice, and accountability. The sports and games are the ways of enhancing the student’s mental and physical growth. Sports help them in character building and provides them energy and strength. A healthy diet and an active lifestyle will bring good results in the student’s lifestyle, minds and bodies. The recreational activities eliminate the unhealthy habits of the children that may let hem to serious diseases. When students are physically fit, they will achieve more academically.
Sport also develops a sense of friendliness among the students and develops their team spirit. It helps students to develop mental and physical toughness. Sport shapes their body and makes it strong and active. Students should actively participate in sports to avoid being tired and lethargy. This is because sports improve their blood circulation and their physical well-being. Last but not least, sport also eliminates mental exhaustion of students. Education is incomplete without sports. These days sports are an integral part of the education. There is a lot of improvement in poor food quality, culture of over-eating, and inactive lifestyles. Running, walking and talking throughout the day make the student physically active.
The physical education department of Nirmala Arts and Science College celebrates sports day annually with athletics and games in which participation of both boys and girls are exemplary. The sports day is inaugurated by flag hoisting by Manager George Kuriakose and the ceremony will be followed by a disciplined parade of the students of all departments under the command of sports secretary and sports in charge. Both indoor and outdoor games are fought between different departments with utmost sportsmanship. Every year we crown a department as the overall sports champions and individual sports champions from boys and girls as the grand conclusion to the sports day. We also motivate our students to participate in various inter collegiate sports events throughout the calendar year. Our students were also able to achieve the highest level of awards at university level competitions in the past years. In addition to sports day Nirmala has always shown interest in organizing various interdepartmental sports completions, sports quiz, prediction contest during major tournaments, indoor and outdoor activities related to health, various health awareness programmes for the development of both mental and physical health of our students. We also organized an impressive inter collegiate to commemorate the founding father of Nirmala Arts and Science College Very Reverent Father Cor Episcopa O C Kuriakose during the tenth anniversary of the college.
The faculty of physical education department of Nirmala Arts and Science College are:
Deepu G (Assistant Professor in English – Sports in charge) 2013-2014
Praveen Kumar (Assistant Professor in Physical Education) 2014-2015
Desmond Tudu (Assistant Professor in Physical Education) 2015- 2018
Rahul Ravi (Assistant Professor in Physical Education) 2018 onwards
- Mahesh Kumar K S (English Department) represented Mahathma Gandhi University in the All India interuniversity Best Physique Men championship for the year 2019-2020 held at Chandigarh University, Chandigarh.
- Mahesh Kumar K S (English Department) won Best Physique Men First place in 70kg category in inter zone at Mahathma Gandhi University for the year 2019-2020.
- The college football team of Nirmala Arts and Science College Mulanthuruthy reached the Pool Finals against MA College kothamangalam in 2017 at Mahathma Gandhi university championship.
- The college football team of Nirmala Arts and Science College Mulanthuruthy secured the First position in Kaal Pandhu event organized as a part of JABAGADADASH 2.0 at Chinmaya Viswavidyapeeth on 4th October 2019.
- Nirmala Arts and Science College Mulanthuruthy organized an Intercollegiate 7's Footbal Tournament with a participation of 16 teams on 23rd February 2018 to commemorate the founding father of Nirmala Arts and Science College: Very Reverent Father Cor Episcopa O C Kuriakose during the tenth anniversary of the college. The winners were awarded Very Reverent Cor Episcopa O C Kuriakose trophy and cash prize by honorable chief guest Srimathi Asha Sanal (District Panchayath President).